Friday, June 15, 2012

X-(Ray) Marks the Spot

After dreading this morning's test - it was finally time to go in for my HSG:
A hysterosalpingogram is an X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes which allows visualization of the inside of the uterus and tubes. The picture will reveal any abnormalities of the uterus as well as tubal problems such as blockage and dilation (hydrosalpinx). If sterilization reversal is planned, the point at which the tubes are blocked can be seen. This helps to plan the reconstructive procedure.
If the tubes are not blocked by scar tissue or adhesions, the dye will flow into the abdominal cavity. This is a good sign but it does not guarantee that the tubes will function normally. It does give a rough estimate of the quality of the tubal structure and the status of the tubal lining. Some cases where the tubes appear to be blocked where they join the uterus, may in fact be normal. Often blockage at this location may be due to spasm of the opening from the uterus into the tube or from accumulated debris and mucus blocking the opening. This can be managed by passing a very thin catheter into the fallopian tube either at the time of hysterosalpingogram or during a hysteroscopic procedure.
Generally there is no special preparation needed for this test. However, depending upon your diagnosis, you may need to take antibiotics to guard against possible infection. To ensure that you are not pregnant, the study is done between Day 7 and 10 of your cycle. Prior to the procedure you may take an anti-inflammatory medication (Aleve or Motrin). A small catheter is placed into the cervix and the dye is injected. You may feel heavy cramping during, and for several hours following this procedure. Expect a sticky vaginal discharge for a few days as the dye is expelled from the uterus. Use a pad or panty liner during this time to allow fluid to escape. Any dye that remains will be absorbed without any ill effect.
I took two advil and my "dox" drug this morning and I went back to Kaiser Woodland Hills... I'm getting very comfortable with that route (and it won't be the last time, of course).

I went to Radiology and checked in for the test. I didn't have long to sit, as they called me a few minutes later. I went to change into an unflattering, backless gown. Honestly, they couldn't use something cuter?

They had me sit on the X-Ray table- and it made me only slightly uneasy they couldn't figure out how to lock the machine in place. These people were in charge of putting in a catheter? Really?

Then the nurse practitioner came in and told me what would happen (thank goodness). I kept trying to breathe (at leat remembering to breathe) as they shot die inside me and from start to finish it took about 30 seconds or less . The it was over and I was free to go.

There wasn't too much pain, just some intense pressure that's been with me for the last few hours. They said it might last for a day or two. Then I realize I took two pills instead of four this morning. Wow. Guess my pain tolerance is even better than I thought.

After an interesting day at work, where I tried not to laugh too much....I cam home and took two more advil, the "dox" and one more injection in prep for the follow-up ultrasound tomorrow.

The X-Rays are in my car for the doctor - and I'm hoping he'll say it's all good. It's like looking at a treasure map...except, instead of a pot of gold, you find a uterus.



No comments:

Post a Comment