Monday, June 11, 2012

IUI 101

I have found that when I tell people that I am undergoing an IUI, I get blank stares. Most people have heard of IVF, since it is a more popular, more discussed, but more complicated, method.

I find myself defining IUI and then stopping and saying: Glorified turkey baster.

Sad, but that's pretty much what it is.

Unlike in IVF, where eggs are retrieved and combined with the sperm, this is the 411 of the IUI:
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Intrauterine insemination, or IUI, refers to the placement of sperm directly into the uterus. IUI is performed near the time of ovulation and is a relatively simple procedure. Processed sperm is placed directly into the uterus using a small, flexible catheter. Infertility medications may be recommended prior to insemination. 
I know it isn't as glamorous as IVF, but I think - given my goal of educating and entertaining - it could catch on....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment