Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Sweet Life: Part 2

Note to self: When you have to get up at 5:45 a.m. to be at kaiser by 7.... DO NOT go to bed at 1:45 a.m. because you've stayed up late watching the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics

I had been fasting since Friday night at 9 - midway through "Meet Me in St. Louis." And I could only have water -- not even gum or breathmints.

So I did manage to get up and out of the house - knowing there would be a line just to get into the lab Saturday morning for my three-hour glucose test.

Once I finally got my number - 6 - I took my first blood test.

I then had 5 minutes to down 100g of oh-so-lovely fruit punch. Exactly 1 hour later, and again 1 hour after that, and one hour after that - I had to get my blood drawn again. It was cool, though. Because it was a time test I got to cut the line - so to speak.

During hour 1 I hung out in the lobby of building 5; during hour 2 I went to the optometry department and ordered a new pair of glasses; during hour 3 I went in search of the gift shop (of course it was closed), so I went back to the waiting area of building 5. There were so many pregnant women hanging out there, you would have thought there was a Lamaze class taking place.

Finally, after the last one at 10:15 a.m,. I was able to leave and get some coffee -- four hours sleep and
no coffee makes for a sleepy Shana.

The good news: I do NOT have gestational diabetes. My numbers were all way below and kept going down with each subsequent test.

Thank goodness -- I celebrated tonight with a bowl of Cocoa Krispies.


No comments:

Post a Comment